Moroccan hotels, weakened by nearly 18 months of hardship, ignore the decision to reduce by 30%, admitting the “difficulty of applying it”. Indeed, the announcement to reduce hotel accommodation by up to 30% for the summer, as part of the promotion of local tourism and even more, did not have the desired effect, since in to the surprise of holidaymakers and others, all the hotels did not follow the option of the National Tourism Confederation (CNT) or even the recommendations issued by the National Federation of the Hotel Industry (FNIH).
As a reminder, the decision was first granted on June 14 to RMEs, following royal instructions, then it was recently extended to all Moroccans. Launched on the Web, the campaign calling for a reduction in the rates for overnight stays in hotels and guest houses during the summer, had nevertheless had good echo among professionals and had known a certain success in terms of demand.
It was there, a local encouragement for tourism after a long period when the sector had been suffering because of the health crisis. Because indeed, since then, hoteliers have waited a long time for the little glimmer of the tunnel and hope to revive. The opportunity presents itself, the demand is there, but unfortunately the supply does not seem to want to follow.
The marketing packages and offers, expected by local and international holidaymakers, were not felt and when booking, the prices did not undergo any change. Many hoteliers are trying to take advantage of the windfall of the reopening to make up for the losses suffered over a long period because of Dame Covid.
It is certainly legitimate but for as much the clientele, as well the resident, as the immigrant, do not have to endure this greed. MoroccoLatestNews has received a number of complaints on this matter. Indeed, citizens after contacting hotels in various parts of the kingdom could not get the famous 30% discount in return. The hotels betting on the summer season to compensate for part of the financial losses are reluctant to align themselves with the decisions of the CNT and the FNIH.
To this end, Lahcen Haddad, the former Minister of Tourism, said in a statement to MoroccoLatestNews that “it was difficult to adopt the abovementioned reduction, especially in this period of high demand“. ” Summer is the peak period, the means of surveillance are absent, and the area is free” , he added.
Haddad further noted that “ lack of accommodation price rationing is another dilemma “, Noting that” what is required is the unity of travel agencies, and their coordination with hotels throughout the year, to ensure a reasonable price “.
For his part Hassan Marzouki, a tourist operator in the Souss-Massa region, said “ that there are many problems in granting this reduction, noting that it is not new, as hotels have already tried it in 2012 and 2017, but to no avail “.
“L‘exclusion of hotels in Taghazout and neighboring coastal villages is a perfect illustration ”, he said, noting that “The problems of taxes and social security made the situation even more difficult“.