The collaborative effort to secure the 2030 FIFA World Cup by Spain, Portugal, and Morocco has advanced with a meeting hosted by Pedro Rocha, the acting president of the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF).
This gathering, which took place at the RFEF headquarters in Madrid, included the participation of Fernando Gomes from Portugal and Fouzi Lekjaa from Morocco.
Lekjaa said, “We know the great responsibility we have, because we are facing a historic opportunity. We will add our best efforts to a great team of professionals who are working hard to achieve the objective. It is an honor for us to join a candidacy with this strength and scope.”
Morocco, no stranger to World Cup bids, having previously vied for the 1994, 1998, 2006, 2010, and 2026 editions, brings a fresh dimension to this partnership.
This meeting assumes particular importance as it comes after the negative headlines surrounding the behavior of former RFEF president Luis Rubiales during the Women’s World Cup presentation ceremony.
On Friday, Rocha was officially confirmed to lead a “transition process at the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) until the upcoming elections.” This appointment was endorsed by the Presidents of the Autonomous and Territorial Federation and the RFEF Board of Directors/Management Committee.
Rocha wasted no time in taking decisive action, welcoming Gomes and Lekjaa the following day. He emphasized the historic significance of their joint bid, marking the first time countries from two confederations have collaborated in a men’s World Cup bid.
“We walk and move forward hand in hand with a goal that moves and excites us. The FIFA World Cup 2030 project is stronger than ever with the integration of Morocco in our Project,” Rocha said.
While Spain undertakes a period of institutional self-examination and transitional reform, Morocco grapples with the aftermath of a significant earthquake and the ensuing rebuilding efforts
Despite these challenges, both countries view the 2030 bid as an opportunity to showcase renewed positivity and the unifying power of football.
“We are convinced that there will be no better proposal than ours. We have been working for years, in coordination with the best professionals, to achieve the best results,”Fernando Gomes said.world c
The eagerly anticipated decision on the host country for the 2030 World Cup will be made by FIFA in December 2024, with the three-nation partnership aiming to secure the privilege of hosting this prestigious global sporting event.