Merseyside Police said on Sunday they had opened an “alleged assault” investigation into a video showing Manchester United striker Cristiano Ronaldo knocking a fan’s phone to the ground clapping.
Footage has been shared on social media alongside comments claiming he smashed a young fan’s phone as he left the pitch after his side’s 1-0 loss at Everton on Saturday’s Matchday 32 of the Premier League.
A police spokesman said they were in contact with Manchester United and Everton, adding that “as the players were leaving the pitch at 2.30pm it was reported that a boy was assaulted by a member of the away team as they left the field”.
“Investigations are ongoing and officers are currently working with Everton to review CCTV footage and are carrying out extensive witness inquiries to find out if a breach has taken place,” he added. The Liverpool result dented Manchester United’s hopes of Champions League qualification and came against an Everton side who were one point clear of the relegation zone before kick-off.
Since then, CR7 has apologized on social media, recalling that “it is never easy to manage your emotions in difficult times like the one we are going through”.
“Nevertheless, we must always be respectful, patient and set an example for all young people who love the beautiful game,” said the Portuguese international. “I would like to apologize for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to attend a match at Old Trafford as a sign of fair play and sportsmanship,” concluded the 37-year-old striker. .