Roger Federer has decided to withdraw from Roland Garros ahead of his round of 16 match against Matteo Berrettini, due to a knee injury.
Federer has withdrawn and ends his run at Roland Garros 2021, a day after winning a difficult third round match against Germany’s Dominik Koepfer.
“After discussions with my team, I decided to withdraw from Roland-Garros today”, Federer said in a statement released by the French Tennis Federation.
“After two knee operations and more than a year of rehabilitation, it is important that I listen to my body and that I do not rush to compete” , he added.
The Swiss athlete was participating in his first major event since the Australian Open in January 2020. After this tournament, he underwent two operations on his right knee. Earlier this year, he pulled out of the 2021 Australian Open because he was still recovering.
After the Olympic gold medalist announced his retirement, Roland Garros organizers responded with a statement shared via social media.
“The Roland Garros tournament is sorry for the withdrawal of Roger Federer, who fought an incredible fight last night”, said tournament director Guy Forget.
“We were all delighted to see Roger again in Paris, where he played three high-level matches. We wish him all the best for the rest of the season ”, he added.
Federer is next due to take part in the Open Noventi, starting June 14. The Swiss have won the ATP 500 turf tournament 10 times in Halle, Germany. He will also compete in the championships, where he will seek a ninth Wimbledon title.