Despite the efforts made by the Kingdom of Morocco a few weeks ago to organize exceptional flights from Sudan to Morocco after the outbreak of conflict in the country, dozens of Moroccans are still trapped in Sudan.
After the outbreak of the conflict in Sudan on April 15 and the deterioration of the security situation in the country, Morocco operated an airlift to ensure the return of Moroccan citizens from Sudan, in accordance with high royal instructions. Thus, more than 400 Moroccans were able to be repatriated. But some are still stranded in Sudan.
In effect, MoroccoLatestNews received distress calls from Moroccan citizens accompanied by their children, who have still not been able to leave Sudan despite previous repatriation operations. They are desperately asking for more flights to be arranged so they can get home.
” We weren’t able to leave on previous flights, but the situation here has since deteriorated. I chose not to go during the previous groups, because the situation was extremely difficult. I have two daughters aged 14 and 11, and I feared that they would be abducted or assaulted (…) Today, the situation is even worse than before. We have been without electricity for a month and I no longer have access to my medication. I suffer from a chronic illness“said one of the Moroccan citizens still stranded in Sudan with her children.
According to information obtained by MoroccoLatestNews, dozens of Moroccan families are registered with the Moroccan Embassy in Sudan in a WhatsApp group. Calls were made to inform them of any travel opportunities, whether by land, air or sea.
” To date, we have no information regarding a possible evacuation. Any new data will be communicated to the citizens concerned.“, said an official of the Embassy of the Kingdom in Sudan.
It is important to emphasize that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation and Moroccans Residing Abroad had announced a month ago, in a press release, that King Mohammed VI had given instructions for the repatriation of Moroccan citizens Moroccans in Sudan due to recent events and the deterioration of the security situation in the country.
” The King also gave his high instructions for the organization of an airlift, in coordination with Royal Air Maroc (RAM), in order to allow the return of Moroccan citizens and their families in the best conditions.“, the statement said.
Since then, flights have been organized in waves to evacuate more than 400 Moroccan men and women accompanied by their children.
For their part, the American and Saudi mediators announced the conclusion of a ceasefire after two weeks of negotiations. The army led by Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and the rapid support forces led by Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo have pledged to respect it. However, reports indicate that the ceasefire has been breached since it officially came into effect, although fighting in Khartoum appears to have less intense since it began.