The Novak Djokovic case will be the subject of an emergency hearing which will take place on Friday evening, after the cancellation, for the second time, of the visa of the world number one in tennis by the Australian authorities.
A summary hearing will be held this evening before Judge Anthony Kelly of the Federal Circuit Court, the court’s spokesperson said in a statement.
Earlier in the day, Australian Immigration Minister Alex Hawke issued a statement announcing the cancellation of Djokovic’s visa, a decision he said was made “on health and public order grounds”.
Reacting to the announcement, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said “Australians have made many sacrifices during this pandemic, and rightly want the outcome of those sacrifices to be protected.”
The world number one tennis player has asked the courts to prevent his deportation after the cancellation of his visa, according to his lawyer, Nick Wood, who asked that his client enter Australia without being vaccinated against Covid-19, remains free for the duration of the procedure.
The visa waiver means the Serbian player, who was aiming for a record 21st Grand Slam title at the Australian Open, will be banned from entering the country for three years except under certain circumstances.