300 million m3 of water lost in 10 months

300 million m3 of water lost in 10 months

Between September 2022 and June 2023, 300 million cubic meters of water dissipated in Morocco, revealed on Tuesday the Minister of Equipment and Water, Nizar Baraka.

Speaking during the weekly session of oral questions in the House of Councillors, Nizar Baraka revealed that over the past five years, nearly 6.5 billion cubic meters have been lost, including 700 million in 2022 alone, while 300 million have dissipated in the space of 10 months, between September 2022 and June 2023.

He explained: ” We had a great fear of the great deficit of the Bouregreg basin and the Oum Errabia basin, and the result is that large cities like Rabat and Casablanca will suffer from a great shortage of drinking water.“.

The Executive has encountered several difficulties in ensuring the supply of drinking water to the 12 million inhabitants of the cities of Casablanca and Rabat, said the Minister, stressing that the project linking the Sebou and Bouregreg basins has made it possible to dispel these fears and to have a positive impact on food security, prices and the protection of citizens’ purchasing power.

According to the Minister, the Sebou and Bouregrag hydraulic basins interconnection project, which is part of the national program for the supply of drinking water and irrigation 2020-2027, will allow the mobilization of water resources for the irrigation of more than 176,000 ha of agricultural land. In particular, it will make it possible to mobilize 180 million cubic meters of water from the Bin El Ouidane and Ahmed El Hansali dams to irrigate 120,000 ha in Doukkala and Bni Amir, as well as 56,000 ha in Bni Moussa.

Baraka also underlined that the urgent establishment of an interconnection between these two hydraulic basins, which extends over 67 kilometers, intervenes to face several constraints, including the reduction of water resources, the water stress due to the drought but also the pressure on the Al Massira dam which supplies many towns. This project will allow, on the other hand, the transfer of excess water estimated between 200 and 300 million cubic meters.

In addition, government spokesman Mustapha Baitas said last month that work on the project, which began in December, is accelerating and should be completed by the end of July for benefit from it from August. He assured that the government has doubled its efforts to complete this project on time and on time.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here